What makes us special!Philosophy
What Guides Us?
Caledonia Early Care and Learning Centre are committed to providing exceptional childcare to the students and staff of the College of New Caledonia, as well as members of the Prince George community.
- A play-based, child-focused early learning program for children
- This fosters individualism, creativity, socialization, and problem-solving
- An emergent curriculum through observations and documentation
We are inspired by Reggio Emilia and nature school philosophies. We are inclusive of all families and use beginner French and sign language in our program. Our knowledgeable, professional team of caregivers offers resources, and programming to challenge children and support them in a fun, nurturing and safe environment. Our program has a focus on natural play; providing natural resources and focusing on the outdoors.
Our Aspirations For Children
Develop positive self-esteem
Express feelings and emotions
Respect developmentally appropriate communication efforts
Respect individual differences
Support children in discovering choices, decisions, and solutions
Be motivated life-long learners by encouraging a sense of wonder
- Develop comfortable, ongoing communication with families.
- Encourage parent involvement in programming.
- Support families in developing and sustaining a healthy parent/child relationship.
- Communicate openly regarding the individual child’s developmental strengths and needs.
- Provide a healthy, safe environment that meets children’s physical needs.
- Provide nutritious meals and snacks.
- Provide children with opportunities to learn through play and the natural world.
- Provide children with creative experiences in art, music, science, language, and sensory.
- Provide opportunities for the development of gross motor skills such as running, jumping, and climbing through indoor and outdoor play.
- Allow children to explore their community through field trips, walks, and the participation of visitors.
- Provide active supervision and age-appropriate guidance, which fosters children’s positive self-esteem and communication.
- Promote innovative responses to community needs and the newest research in Early Care and Learning. To promote and implement educational opportunities for parents, students, and staff.
Our philosophy drives our everyday interactions with the children. We strive to embody this message in each decision made daily.